Now that you've decided to take an online course with us, you probably have a lot of questions about what you need to know in terms of logging in, getting books, getting help, and more. The information on this page will run through many of the "to-do's" you can perform ahead of time to help you be successful online using Blackboard for your online or hybrid course.
Next, visit the "Login Info & Help" link on left for information on logging in, finding your course, and getting help. The most important thing to remember, though, is "Don't wait to ask a question!" We can't see if your hand is raised or if you have a perplexed look on your face. We're here to help you succeed!!
Is Your Computer Ready to use Blackboard?
You will need:
- A supported Internet browser
- High-speed access to the Internet
- Java (recommended)
The following links will help you prepare your computer:
- Click here to see supported browsers for Blackboard Learn 9.1 SP 14.
Firefox and Chrome are recommended. Internet Explorer 10 and 11 on Windows 7 and 8/8.1 are also supported. On Windows 8 and above, we recommend the "desktop" version in place of the "Metro" browser with Blackboard. Safari for the Mac is also supported.
What to Do and Expect After You Register for an Online Course
EXPECT an automated email from "Asnuntuck Community College Distance Learning" with course information and login directions. Automated emails will start to go out two to three weeks before the semester begins to the email address on record in myCommNet.
REMEMBER, beginning Jan. 1, 2013, your preferred email settings in myCommNet reflect the Connecticut Community Colleges' (CCC) recently issued student email address. You can learn more about Office365 and student email at http://www.ct.edu/365#faq. You will login to email using your NetID.
- View a sample email notice. Your semester start dates may be different. Check the Academic Calendar for your semester's start date.
- DO watch the video Navigate Your Course in Blackboard.
- DO test your login ONE WEEK before the semester begins. It is your responsibility to be ready for class. Your instructor will not contact you. New Students: Learn how to use your NetID and Password to login.
- DO read the course Syllabus or instructor's Welcome message posted in Blackboard to help prepare you for the semester ahead.
- DO click on the "Support & Resources" menu item in your course . You may want to bookmark that page after it opens in a browser for a later time if you encounter Blackboard or login problems.
- DO get textbooks, if needed. Shop 24/7 @ http://www.efollett.com or call the bookstore at 860.253.3186 for on campus hours.
Need software? Through agreements with Microsoft and other vendors, such as Adobe, we are able to offer several products at substantial discounts. Go to http://www.journeyed.com/select or call 800.874.9001.
Be Successful in Your Online Course
The Academic Skills Center offers tutoring in many subjects and can help with papers or other writing assignments.
Online tutoring is available at etutoring.org. To register click "Northeast eTutoring Consortium" and select Asnuntuck Community College at the etutoring.org homepage.
Need to use a campus computer? Computers are available in the Library and are equipped with software used in your class.
For more information about Distance Learning please contact:
Director of Educational Technology
860.253.3109 or email@example.com