Now that you've decided to take an online course with us, you probably have a lot of questions:
- Where do I go to I get to my course and how do I log in?
- What books do I need and where do I get them? (click the Shop Now button and select your course)
The information on this page will run through many of the "to-do's" to help you be successful using Blackboard for your online or hybrid course.
Is Your Computer Ready to use Blackboard?
You will need:
- A supported Internet browser
- High-speed access to the Internet
- Java (recommended)
The following links will help you prepare your computer:
- Is your internet browser supported?
We recommend installing Firefox and Chrome. Having 2 browsers helps with troubleshooting. If Blackboard seems to be acting up, try using the other browser.
- Learn how to clear the cache and cookies from your browser (opens in a new window). This maintenance task solves a lot of problems. Clear cache regularly.
What to Do and Expect After You Register for an Online Course
EXPECT an automated email from "Asnuntuck Community College Distance Learning" with course information and login directions. Automated emails will start to go out two to three weeks before the semester begins to the email address on record in myCommNet.
- View a sample email notice. Your semester start dates will be different. Check the Academic Calendar for your semester's start date.
REMEMBER, your preferred email settings in myCommNet reflect the Connecticut Community Colleges' (CCC) student email. OTHER things to do:
- Learn more about Office365 and student email. You will log in to email using your NetID.
- Download the Quick-Start Guide to Online Services and Support at ACC (PDF) Guide includes how to install Office 365, connect to Wifi, Add/Drop courses online, reset your password, and more.
- DO watch the video Navigate Your Course in Blackboard.
- DO test your login ONE WEEK before the semester begins. It is your responsibility to be ready for class. Your instructor will not contact you. New Students: Learn how to use your NetID and Password to login.
- DO read the course Syllabus or instructor's Welcome message posted in Blackboard to help prepare you for the semester ahead if available. Course content may not be available until the first day of the semester.
- DO click on the "Support & Resources" menu item in your Blackboard course . You may want to bookmark that page after it opens in a browser for a later time if you encounter Blackboard or login problems.
- DO get textbooks, if needed. Buy books online at the ACC Bookstore or on campus. Call 860.253.3186 for hours of operation.
Be Successful in Your Online Course
- The Academic Skills Center offers tutoring in many subjects and can help with papers or other writing assignments.
- Online tutoring is available at etutoring.org. To register click "Northeast eTutoring Consortium" and select Asnuntuck Community College at the etutoring.org homepage.
- Tips for succeeding online
Need to use a campus computer? Computers are available in the Library and are equipped with software used in your class.
For more information about Distance Learning please contact:
Director of Educational Technology
860.253.3109 or firstname.lastname@example.org