ACCUPLACER Basic Skills Assessment
The ACCUPLACER is an assessment tool developed by the College Board and is administered to all new students enrolling in a degree or certificate program in order to assess their academic skills in mathematics, English and reading. The results are used by advisors and counselors to assist with course selection and academic advising. You cannot “pass” or “fail”, but it is very important that you do your very best so that ACC will have an accurate measure of your current academic skills. This is not an admissions test. The assessment is untimed. On average, it takes approximately one and-a-half to two hours, so plan accordingly. It is important that students arrive on time for the assessment.
Every student knows that studying reduces the anxiety and pressure associated with exam-taking. As with any test, Accuplacer results are strongly and positively related with the amount of quality studying done before taking the test. The following hyperlinked websites and study guides will provide you with both a better understanding of, and an opportunity to practice, the skills on which the ACCUPLACER will test you.
- Collegeboard Sample Accuplacer Assessment
(Includes sample questions for both and English and Math directly from the Accuplacer website. The Accuplacer at Asnuntuck includes four sections: Sentence Skills, Reading Comprehenstion, Elementary Algebra and College Level Math. The Accuplacer taken at Asnuntuck will not include the other sections noted in this sample asssessment.)
- Math ACCUPLACER Preparation
(Includes links to other math skills practice sites.)
- English ACCUPLACER Preparation:
- Math and English ACCUPLACER Preparation
Who needs to take the ACCUPLACER?
You are exempt from the ACCUPLACER assessment if:
- You are a transfer student who has earned a “C” or better in an English Composition and/or college-level mathematics course;
- You took the SAT prior to March 2016 and have either an SAT Critical Reading or Writing score of 450 or higher, and/or an SAT Mathematics score of 500 or higher, or took the SAT in March 2016 or after and have either an SAT Critical Reading subscore of 25 or higher, and/or an SAT Mathematics score of 530 or higher; or
- You have an ACT English score of 21 or higher, or a composite score of 47 or higher on the ACT English and Reading test, or an ACT Math score of 18-21.
You must take the ACCUPLACER assessment if:
- You are a new student enrolling in an ACC degree or certificate program;
- You plan to register for a course with an English or math prerequisite;
- You are a transfer student who has not earned a “C” or better in an English Composition and/or college-level mathematics course;
- You are a non-degree student seeking to enroll in an English or math course; or
- You elect to take a developmental course (to ensure proper placement).
Any student who has a physical or learning disability, or other limitation necessitating special assistance and/or facilities for the ACCUPLACER assessment, should contact the Section 504/ADA Coordinator, Cheryl Cyr, email@example.com (860) 253-3045.
When and where can students take the ACCUPLACER?
Assessments are held in Room 133A, or in Room 214 as noted *.
- Tuesday, March 21st at 5:30 p.m.*
- Wednesday, March 29th at 5:30 p.m.*
- Monday, April 3rd at 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 12th at 5:30 p.m.*
- Wednesday, April 26th at 5:30 p.m.*
- Monday, May 1st at 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 10th at 5:30 p.m.*
- Monday, May 15th at 2:00 p.m.
- Monday, May 22nd at 5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 31st at 2:00 p.m.
- Monday, June 5th at 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 14th at 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, June 19th at 2:00 p.m.
- Monday, June 26th at 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 28th at 5:30 p.m.
- Thursday, July 6th at 2:00 p.m.
- Monday, July 10th at 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 12th at 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, July 17th at 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 19th at 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, July 24th at 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 26th at 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, July 31st at 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 2nd at 5:30 p.m.
- Saturday, August 5th at 10:00 a.m.
- Monday, August 7th at 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 9th at 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, August 14th at 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 16th at 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, August 21st at 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 23rd at 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, August 28th at 2:00 p.m.
To download a printable version of the Asnuntuck ACCUPLACER brochure, click here.
MPORTANT: Students must bring their Banner Student ID number and a photo ID to the assessment.
Acceptable forms of photo identification include:
A current driver’s license
A state-approved ID
A high school ID
A college ID
A current state or federal ID card
A current passport
A tribal ID card
A naturalization card or certificate of citizenship